Paying extra attention to keeping your teeth clean during orthodontic treatment is essential. Brackets trap food so maintaining good oral hygiene will keep your gums healthy and prevent any cavities from forming around your braces. Here a few tips for keeping teeth clean:
1) Brush with a toothbrush for 2 minutes. Angle the toothbrush above and below the brackets and move it in small circles. I would personally recommend an electric toothbrush with an orthodontic specific head for it. Research done in 2013 has shown that electric toothbrushes are the most effective way to keep teeth clean with braces.
2) Make sure you are using fluoridated toothpaste so you don't get any cavities! Adding a fluoridated mouthwash, like ACT, is also helpful.
3) Use superfloss or a floss threader to get the floss underneath your wire. It takes a few times of practice to get used to flossing under the wire, so be patient. My personal recommendation is to use an orthodontic floss pick and my patients like the ones from Dentek the most:http://www.dentek.com/product/157/braces-clean-floss-picks/
4) In addition to brushing with a toothbrush, you can use an angled proxabrush (that is shaped like a Christmas tree) to go around brackets.
5) If you are still struggling to keep your teeth clean, talk to your general dentist about getting cleanings every 1-2 months, instead of every 6 months.